santa maria nuova
In ancient times, this village was called Santa Maria delle Ripe. In 1201 an act of submission was signed to the larger Seigniory of Jesi, from which it became independent at the end of the nineteenth century. Evocative evidences of the past of this village are preserved in the archaeological site in Pietrolone, where remains of a funeral aedicule and a decorated villa were found both dating back to Roman times.
The Church of St. Anthony of Padua, in the central square, is well known because of the basilica altar with polychrome ceramics by Vitali da Foligno (first example of an altar facing the faithful after the reform of Vatican Council II) and an eighteenth century mechanical organ. St. Joseph Church is a classic example of eighteenth-century architecture with its masonry front. The single hall interior has rich stucco decorations, late baroque altars, an eighteenth century wooden crucifix and paintings including one of the seventeenth century attributable to Aquilini.
In addition to the two churches, the Castellani walls and the Roman Ruins are a worthwhile visit.